Who we are
South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive (SYPTE) is the driving force behind the development of public transport in South Yorkshire.
We are accountable to South Yorkshire Integrated Transport Authority (SYITA) which is made up nominated elected members from the local authorities of Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield.
SYPTE is a professional, focussed and efficient organisation that takes the lead to develop the region’s transport network through targeted, value for money investment and services. We:
- have a unique role in planning for South Yorkshire’s future transport network by identifying, developing and delivering key strategic priorities at a sub-regional and national level
- secure funding for South Yorkshire’s key transport priorities to enable investment where the need is identified
- address customer requirements to deliver successful, efficient and value for money solutions
- have strong working relationships with local, sub-regional and national partners, delivering innovative and pioneering projects that test the boundaries and deliver results
- listen to customers to understand and respond to their needs
What we do
Our role is to encourage the maximum use of public transport throughout South Yorkshire and to promote growth of the public transport network. We work closely with transport service operators, local councils and other key stakeholders to develop the network and services across the county.
Although SYPTE does not run any transport services directly, it purchases rail and some bus services from private operators. It also provides region-wide information, manages the funding and administration of concessionary fares, provides bus stops and shelters, and operates interchanges and information centres throughout the region.
SYPTE's primary goals are to provide:
- a realistic alternative to the car that will encourage a shift in people's mode of travel
- quality transport for those without the use of a car to enable them to access jobs, education, shops, healthcare and other facilities; and
- good public transport services linking businesses to employees and customers.
- subsidises socially necessary local bus services that cannot be provided commercially
- specifies, pays for, develops and monitors local rail services
- administers and funds a comprehensive concessionary fare scheme
- promotes equal access to public transport for all
- co-ordinates and promotes activities to achieve better integrated public transport services
- provides travel information
- administers prepaid ticket schemes; and
- plans future investment in transport infrastructure and services.
View SYPTE's Commitment to Equality here.
Travel South Yorkshire
In 2006, we introduced the Travel South Yorkshire brand, which links together all public transport products and services in South Yorkshire. To find out more about the Travel South Yorkshire partnership, visit travelsouthyorkshire.com
Our Vision 2011/26:
"Working together to keep people and commerce moving effectively to enable economic growth, and enhance the region’s environment, health and wellbeing."