Projects and awards
South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive is involved in many projects to improve public transport infrastructure and highways.
Listed below are some of the main projects currently being undertaken:
SYPTE has submitted bids to the Department for Transport for funding for two projects:
- BRT Northern Route
- Supertram Additional Vehicles
Copies of the bid documents for these are available on our bid documents page.
Yorkshire Rail Network Study
SYPTE has worked in partnership with Metro and the Leeds City Region on the Yorkshire Rail Network Study, to establish the economic benefits of enhancing the capacity and functionality of the rail network over the medium and longer term. Copies of the study reports are available on our
Yorkshire Rail Network Study page.
We work hard to make public transport a competitive travel option for the people of South Yorkshire. Listed below are some of the awards we have won in the last few years:
National Transport Awards
- winner of the Technology Award for the GetThereSooner project,
- shortlisted in the Most Innovative Transport Project Award for the TravelMaster ticket,
- winner of the Rail Stations of the Year Award,
- commended for Frontline Employee of the Year,
- winner of the Joe Clarke Passenger Transport Authority of the Year Award, and
- short-listed for the Walking and the Public Realm Award for Sheffield Station.
The Institution of Highways and Transportation Awards
- winner of the IHT/Mouchel Parkman Accessibility Award for Sheffield Station.
RICS Yorkshire Awards
- commended for the Commercial category for Doncaster Frenchgate.
Yorkshire Renaissance Awards
- winner of the Design Excellence award for Doncaster Frenchgate.
National Railway Heritage Awards
- winner of the Rail Project Award for Sheffield Station.
UK Bus Awards
- highly commended for the Infrastructure Award for Doncaster’s Frenchgate Interchange
- short-listed for the Transport Authority of the Year Award, and
- short-listed for the Bus Marketing Campaign category for the Carbon Quids initiative.
Secure Stations Scheme
- twice winner of Crime Prevention charity Crime Concern’s Award for Meadowhall Interchange. Swinton and Adwick have also won.
- our innovative Carbon Quids campaign won the Best Travel Awareness Event Award.
HSBC Rail Awards
- highly commended for Doncaster Station’s £4.5m refurbishment.
Institution of Civil Engineers’ Yorkshire & Humber Awards
- winner of the Award for Excellence • for Barnsley Interchange.
Light Rail Awards
- winner of the Project of the Year Award for the £3m Supertram revamp.
Best Companies Limited
- accredited as ‘One to Watch’ in The Times’ Top 500 companies.
And... Loo of the Year Awards
- winner of the 2007 Bus and Coach Station Award for Meadowhall Interchange.
SYPTE has also been accredited with Customer Service Excellence status.