Residents, visitors, community groups and businesses across the Sheffield City Region are being asked to have their say on the future of Supertram.
A public consultation runs from the 24 September to 5 November and will seek views on three options for the system:
- Maintaining Supertram as it is through ongoing essential repairs.
- Renewing and modernising Supertram’s tracks, vehicles and information systems.
- Exploring alternative options to Supertram.
Around £230m of investment is needed to allow Supertram to operate beyond 2024. Feedback from the consultation will form part of the business case that will be submitted to the Department for Transport to support the funding of any renewal works. As part of this business case all possible options need to be explored, and consulted on and then a preferred option for the system needs to be submitted.
Mayor of the Sheffield City Region, Dan Jarvis, said: “For more than 20 years the Supertram has been a fixture within Sheffield and the region and has been making more than 12 million passenger journeys a year.
“We are now working with South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive to establish what the future of the Supertram system might look like. We want to hear from those people who currently use the Supertram, and those who don’t, about what its future should be. I would encourage as many people as possible to have their say.”
For more information about the proposals on the future of Supertram and to take part visit: travelsouthyorkshire.com/futuretram Paper copies are available from Interchange Customer Service desks, which are located at:
- Sheffield Interchange, Archway Centre, Pond Square, Sheffield, S1 2BD
- Meadowhall Interchange, Meadowhall Road, Sheffield, S9 1EP
- Hillsborough Interchange, 540 Langsett Road, Hillsborough, Sheffield, S6 2LX
- Arundel Gate Interchange, 30 Arundel Gate, Sheffield, S1 2PP
- Rotherham Interchange (Forge Island), Corporation Street, Rotherham, S60 1NG
- Doncaster Frenchgate Interchange, Off Trafford Way, Doncaster, DN1 1PJ
- Barnsley Interchange, Eldon Street North, Barnsley, S70 1SE