Stagecoach Supertram, SYPTE and Tramlines have issued travel advice for visitors to the Tramlines festival taking place this weekend (Friday 23 to Sunday 25 July).
A normal tram service is planned to run throughout the day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday in the area so people can travel to the venue and others can make their journeys as normal.
However, a joint decision has been made not to run evening trams in the area of the festival on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening. All services will terminate at Shalesmoor from around 9pm on Friday and Saturday and 8pm on Sunday. This is because Stagecoach Supertram has reduced staff resource at the current time, primarily due to a surge in employees being contacted with a self-isolation instruction through the NHS Test and Trace system.
Bus services will continue to run as per the planned timetables and Supertram tickets are valid on all buses where trams would have been running. As buses are expected to be very busy, festival goers are advised to make alternative arrangements for their return after the festival.
Tim Bilby, Managing Director of Supertram, said: “In common with many other organisations across the country, we have seen a surge in staff absence over the last week, largely due to our employees being contacted with a self-isolation instruction through the NHS Test and Trace system.
“We are continuing to run the vast majority of tram services with the reduced resource we have available, however this does mean we are unable to provide a tram service on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings for people returning from the Tramlines festival.
“We are planning to run all other services as normal over the weekend and details of our timetable can be found at https://www.stagecoachbus.com/news/yorkshire/2021/july-2021/tramlines-festival-23-to-25-july-2021-travel-information.”
Tim Taylor, Director of Customer Services from SYPTE said: “We’re seeing a significant increase in related worker absence right across the transport industry and Supertram services are impacted by this.
“Festival-goers planning to travel by public transport can be confident the network remains safe and clean. But bus services after the event are likely to be busier and journeys might take longer, so please plan ahead and make alternative arrangements where you can.
“We’re also encouraging anyone using buses, trams or trains over the weekend to continue to follow advice about hand washing and keeping windows open to help with ventilation, wherever possible. Face masks are still mandatory in bus stations and transport interchanges across South Yorkshire, and we’re strongly encouraging people to follow Government guidance that expects and recommends the wearing of face coverings on board public transport, if they can.”
Timm Cleasby, Head of Operations for Tramlines, said: “We fully understand the pressures key workers are under across the country and for the safety of all festival-goers, we came to a joint decision that services would not run after the event.
"It won't squash the full festival spirit as we have a great weekend ahead. We advise our ticket holders to look into alternative routes away from the festival."